To make your river outing memorable you have gifted yourself a water sports tool, Kayak. Now this is quite commendable because when in mood to tame those bouncy waves or play with free flowing water, kayak has no substitute. But the problem is you need to buy a paddle along with kayak and choosing the best kayak paddle is more daunting than choosing a kayak.
How much does a kayak paddle matter?
Just like a painter is physically challenged without his paint brush, similarly a kayak is mobility restricted without a paddle. It is the paddle of the kayak which makes direct connection with water and at times you are totally dependent on it. Thus a kayak paddle is an amalgamation of steering, accelerator, gear, break of a kayak. For choosing a perfect paddle for your kayak you need to maintain certain specifications.
Length of the paddle
The length of the paddle is very crucial during selection; generally a kayak paddle ranges from 210cm to 260cm. But the difference of this minute 50cm can determine lot of things, like style of paddling, height of the person rowing the kayak, and the size of the kayak itself.
- Style of paddling:
- Low angle: good for long distance, as it kills less energy. For this kind of paddling you need flat, horizontal blades and slightly longer as compared to higher angle paddling.
- High angle: requires high end force and energy and gives accelerated speed while rowing. You need a strong and broad blades, unlike slim in slow angle counterpart.
- Boat width: larger and wider boats need longer paddle to withstand the buoyancies of boat and water.
The raw material for drafting paddle
Material is the building block of any substance. It is the property of the raw material which is reflected on to the substance. It is always recommended to vouch for lighter paddles.
- Fiber glass: These are light weight. Paddle drafted out of fiber glass plates are therefore light and are easy to handle under water and require less strength. You can also experience the luxury of color picks in fiber glass section.
- Carbon fiber: monotonous in look and at the same time very costly but the plus point is, it is very durable and has extended longevity.
- Nylon or aluminium paddles: easy to maintain and repair.
Blade design and its featuring
Feathered blades are light weight and user friendly. It cuts away any wind obstruction, which is very common during rowing over restless river banks. Less wind interruption means less resistance and your wrist strength is nullified by this feathery touch. The feathered blades are positioned at certain optimized angle, which flow some mathematical theorems and befools wind current.
Curvy body is attractive, and curvy blade is water loving. Choose asymmetrical dihedral blades for rowing business. Curves and angles give an aircraft wings like appearance and hence perform better on waves.
You can visit this site to know how to choose a kayak paddle. Sum up all these above mentioned minute yet important attributes and get yourself prepared to spot the ultimate paddles for kayak business. To remain under the safety zone, always carry an additional paddle. You never know when paddle will break, so keep a substitute for aquatic emergency.